Dwijamani killing: NHRC orders DGP to take 'appropriate action'

Published in Headline Read 10228 times

Imphal, January 16: Taking serious note of a journalist being killed in Imphal, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has ordered Manipur Government and police DGP to take 'appropriate action' with regard to investigation into the matter.

Acting on two complaints filed by human rights activist Akhand of Odisha-based rights organization India Media Centre and another person RH Bansal on the matter, NHRC has asked to state authorities to reply within eight weeks.

"The Director General of Police, Manipur, District Magistrate, Imphal and Superintendent of Police, Imphal are directed to take appropriate action with regard to the investigation of the case as per guidelines laid down by the Commission in the letter dated 12th May, 2010 of the Chairperson, NHRC to the Chief Ministers of all States," stated the order of apex human rights body.

NHRC also directed the DGP to submit the magisterial inquiry report, inquest report, post mortem report along with report of independent investigation to the commission within eight weeks.

Journalist Thangjam Nanao Singh alias Dwijamani (aged about 29) was allegedly killed in police firing in Manipur on December 23 last year. He was killed when the police opened fire at Thangmeiband Sinam Leikai under Imphal city police station in Imphal west district.

"Dwijamani, a stringer of Doordarshan Kendra, Guwahati, was hit by a bullet on his chest, when he was covering a protest rally against the government demanding the arrest of a Naga militant for allegedly molesting a film actress on December 18. We have prayed for action against the police official responsible for this incident and a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the victim's family," said Akhand. It may be noted here that following public outcry against the killing, the State Govt instituted a 3-member committee to probe into the incident on December 23, 2012. The committee has also subsequently submitted its six-page report to the Govt on January 3. But what has become of the report is still not known.